Bingo Status: Time to Rest

Fired Rice anyone?

Call it a bad habit, but every time I go to a restaurant, the first thing that I notice is the spelling mistakes in the menu card( I am concerned about the pricing too :) ). Most of the times, I am not disappointed, and there are usually quite a few to be found. I hear that Indians are good at spelling. Ask the Spelling Bee organisers!  The restaurant menu cards don't seem to indicate the same. But then, it is never bad to enjoy a few light moments before your meal.

When I think of misspelt words, a few immediately jump into my mind. I had been to a Chinese restaurant in Bangalore, where Fried rice was spelt as Fired Rice! I started laughing and the waiters were curious. At another occasion, Macaroni was spelt was Marconi. I thought they were going to get me a radio for dinner!

Very often, fancy meaningless names are used by restaurants, some of them are particularly rib tickling. At my college night canteen, the list goes like Veg Hong Kong, Veg Shanghai, Veg Switzerland.. I haven’t had the courage to try these out yet. The other day at my college food court, the whole menu seemed ridden with spelling mistakes. So, I got one of my friends to take a snap of the menu card. Here it is. Have a nice laugh, and next time you go to a Chinese restaurant, think about Fired Rice!

P.S. I am not very good at spellings. But I certainly know to use the Microsoft Word Spell-check. .

DSC01000

0 comments:

Post a Comment